What did I learn during the first week?

I have been scanning PLENK2010,  introductions and  discussions and tweets and wondering how I should follow and participate. This is not my first MOOC and at the beginning I was sure that I can do only what I really want. But now I use my time looking around and wondering. Perhaps this is a necessary phase in every course. There seems to be so much interesting that I have to scan around.

I am happy that I was brave enough to publish the Google map for the course, I have never earlier done it. Today I can see 6600 views there – the map is useful and many participants like it. This is a global course. Mistakes do not matter, they are all sources of learning. Next time I remember to check the language before saving the map.

I am not very interested in defining the concepts PLE, PLN, VLE, LMS but I liked the blogpost of Jenny Mackness. I have problems in following spoken English in Elluminate sessions, so Jenny helps me. I also noticed many interesting names in Moodle Forums whom I will follow: Guillame Janssen, Alan Cooper, Jim Stauffer, Lee Ballantyne, Chris Saeger (this is a warning 🙂 ) etc. This is something I did as an online teacher: to build an image around the name. Here I cannot follow everyone. If I choose one of participants PLE, it could me Maria Fernanda, whom I began to appreciate in CritLit. She tells also why to use tools, not only lists them. There are many purposes.

I found some videos very useful and nice. This chat between a teacher & pupil inspires me. Steve Mackenzie told in FB that it has been made by a co-learner in the course: Patricio Bustamante from Chile. A good orientation for next week?

Basics of learning by doing become illustrated when Sugata Mitra presents in Ted Talk how children learn when they want to. If children have interest, education happens. When free collaboration is allowed, self-organization happens. It means that system structure appears without external interventions. Learning can be seen as an emergent phenomenon. If child-driven education can do that, how about our adult-driven course?

I am wondering should I use Twitter paper or daily. How could it help me? Or perhaps web brain could help me in visualizations? I learned gliffy in 2006 and have never used it: I don’t mean it is poor, it is fine, but I cannot use everything fine in web. Symbaloo I am not going to use. But I joined to our Diigo group and I have to visit it sometimes.

Now I remember the image I copied from Chris’s blog. I have to put it here: I like the idea to connect oneself and the brand of the course.

plenk480

I was pleased in Wednesday Elluminate session because all participated by writing concept definitions on the table – and especially because these definitions were NOT technologically oriented. I was worried about this in my former post and I was prepared to be quiet and let them speak. But most participants were interested in human learning and I enjoyed. I see that facilitators want this course to work collaboratively. What can I bring here is my question, not only what can I get from others.

Where is my idea to continue with Jenny and Matthias in their e-resonance paper. They have published all three parts and I haven’t commented…