My personal ideas for PLENK2010

Here I am. Again beginning a new open online course: Personal Learning Environments, Networks and Knowledge facilitated by Stephen Downes, Dave Gormier, Rita Kop and George Siemens. The program for ten weeks:

• Week 1. A tour of PLEs and PLNS – diagrams, discussions, examples – September 12, 2010
  • Week 2: Contrasting personal learning with institutional learning – September 19,
  • Week 3: Understanding the neXT/eXtended Web – September 26,
  • Week 4: PLE/PLN and learning theories – October 03,
  • Week 5: Evaluating Learning in PLE/Ns – October 10,
  • Week 6: Using PLEs successfully – skills, mindsets, and critical literacies – October 17,
  • Week 7: PLE/Ns Tools – WHat Exists, What is Being Built? – October 24,
  • Week 8: PLE/Ns and personal knowledge management – October 31,
  • Week 9: PLE/Ns in the classroom (PLE/Ns and blended learning) – November 7,
  • Week 10: Critical perspectives on PLE/PLN – November 14, 2010.

I am interested in all themes, perhaps I pass institutional learning (2) and classroom teaching (9) because I am free, not working for salary any more. I am studying for fun and following interests of my own. I have a long history of online teaching (facilitating actually) and now I want to find online places where I enjoy to communicate and learn more. I don’t want to live only in this small town in Finland, I want to live in a global world.

My personal idea is to follow my learning during this course: my thinking, feeling, acting, networking etc. This blog is my natural place (as it has been in CCK08,09 and CritLit10). I participate in Moodle forums,too and in Twitter (helinur). I have the same photo in every place.

I was very glad today when I noticed that Jenny Mackness and Matthias Melcher have written an article about very first connections in online living. How does it happen and why some people are very interested in one’s mind? They ponder that eResonance deals with similarity, not sameness. I take this as my first question, because I have been asking same question myself. I followed in as an online teacher for years, and now without teacher’s responsibilities. Similarity means – I suppose –  deeper sameness, similar personality structure, interests, values, aims – not external sameness (age, gender, education). I am not sure if I can model this phenomenom, it is so dynamic and individual. Time will tell. It is my first question anyway and I can comment Jenny and Matthias. Is here in PLENK anyone interested in this?

Autumn is coming to Finland, it is raining just now. Good time to begin eResonating!

9 thoughts on “My personal ideas for PLENK2010

1. Thanks for your interest, and also thanks for showing us how difficult it is to put such difficult concepts into words. We did not mean “similar personality structure”, and we thought of much smaller similarities. For example, similar interests rather than the same interests. Perhaps after the PLN discussions in Plenk, we can more plausibly explain the difference between similarity and sameness — which are very similar, after all .-)

2. Hi Matthias,

this is the beginning of our discussions and we will learn a lot from each other. But we can also disagree or look from different points of view. Personal structures was my language as a psychologist, my first interpretation, I didn’t mean it was yours. I can guess that you and Jenny have different languages, too.
    Looking forward to more interpretations..

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention My personal ideas for PLENK2010 | Heli on Connectivism -- Topsy.com

4. Hi Heli – thanks for referring to our ‘paper’ on your blog. It is coincidental that Matthias and I have completed the paper at the same time as the start of the PLENK2010 course – but it has occurred to me that resonance and how people make online connections must surely be relevant to PLEs/PLNs.

You have said in your comment to Matthias – I can guess that you and Jenny have different languages, too.

Yes you are absolutely right and Matthias and I have discussed this quite often. What is so interesting is how the resonance between two people such and Matthias and myself – who have different languages in all the ways in which that can be interpreted – was sparked off.

Have you thought about how resonance occurs in your experience. What is it that ‘sparks’ an online connection for you? I would love to hear your perspective.

5. Heli,

I started PLENK2010 yesterday, and yours is the third or fourth blog I’ve left a comment on so far — so apparently I’m not having any trouble expanding my connections.

Now I have to go and read Jenny and Matthias’s paper, because I find the term eResonance appealing as an analogy. That’s despite the e-, which I’d just as soon see disappear from e-learning, e-book. I live in fear that someone will develop e-coffee.

The other analogy I have in mind is learning how to tune a guitar to itself rather than using a pitch pipe or external tuner.

When you do this, you’re making use of “sympathetic vibrations” — a response by one object to vibrations from another. When I press on the 5th fret of the A string, I get a D note, which is what I want to tune the 4th string to.

Beyond that, though, when you play the guitar, there are overtones. In a way that’s like the elements of knowledge or connection that a beginner is unaware of, that he learns about (if at all) only through time and experience.

6. Hi Dave Ferguson,
    you are the soldier with a fine hat, aren’t you? I hope I remember right.
    I have offered a cup of coffee in a learning platform to my students but they said that coffee was cold 🙂
    Thanks for the comment!

7. Heli:

You can see that hat more clearly on the PLENK Moodle:
    http://bit.ly/dluQux

It’s not me, it’s my dad when he’d just completed training in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, back in 1934. I’m sure that even in Finland you know about the Mounties.

Speaking of Finland, long ago I knew a girl from Haapajärvi–well enough to try learning Finnish, but not long enough to be successful… at the learning, I mean.

8. Hi all 🙂

Yes, thanks Heli for posting the link to Jenny & Matthias’ paper – like Dave I also found e-resonance an interesting perspective with which to re-examine the different characteristics of F2F and online communication – and I’ve often found what ‘grabs’ me most online is when I disagree with something or someone, so I’m glad the authors give equal mention to contradiction and argument and draw on Wenger’s ideas of ‘mutuality’ over ‘sameness’.

For me, I guess I think of these ‘resonant frequencies’ of ours as simply things that are important to us in some way. But maybe this is a little simplistic; I’m going to have a look at the second instalment and see what comes up!