Pragmatics versus Diversity

Pragmatics is the theme of CritLit2010 on this week. I hardly can follow this theme. Maria helped me writing her blog, she is expert on digital literacies. She pondered cultural differences in her post, please read it.

The text we got for this week :  Pragmatics

The capacity to use communicative elements in actions, or to take actions using communication, to express, commit, interrogate, and engage in interactions. Including being active participants in the world and on the Web versus passive consumers.

Pragmatics belong to linguistics, not human sciences. That’s the problem in my mind. I am not interested in language only, language does not use me. It is me who uses language. Linguistics cannot help to become active participants.  Why study linguistics after just leaving it behind with David Snowden. He described its limits and turned to intuition. Grainne Conole emphasized the meaning of visualisations in Web. So I am wondering why pragmatics is our theme on third week?

Instead of studying pragmatics as such I ponder its meaning in understanding diversity in human actions. Networking needs diversity in order to proceed – we agree with it. What kind of diversity is good and useful? It is the question I have been working with all the time. Here comes a simple picture about three different paths. You can begin with 1) technological expertice, In Finland it is called ICT  2) human science expertice (psychologist, teacher) or 3) without any special expertice (young or adult).

expertMy model is schematic and simple. In reality every individual has his/her own story. Our paths are different, diversity is true – could I say so?

False expertice has interested me a long time, I can see many people around trying to pretend expertice by participating in the right circles. On line paparazzi is one of the roles. Is it possible only in Twitter?

We have much research about networked learning – followed one conference in May and have written about results in Finnish. Here is one research: Just what is reflected .. and another Who is taming who, tensions between technologies and people..

It is good to sharpen my critical thinking skills. Thanks for the link. It is nice to recieve study guide strategies: 9 approaches to creative problem solving. But it is better to construct those guides by thinking and practicing, not following ready-made lists. My ideal is not the copy-paste-web-life, the activity of learner must be in  focus, of course. The quality of activity is our theme this week, isn’t it?

4 thoughts on “Pragmatics versus Diversity

1. Numi,

Thank you for your post,not only it is interesting but also shows critical thinking when you reflects on the subject of this week. It happened to me something similar. On the first time, I just thought on pragmatics from linguistics. You wonder why and how and this was one of the points we should take to account when learning.

The authors and the links of papers gave me a window to understand interactions and other interesting ideas.

I agree with your point of view about “participation” or knowledge construction with reference to Pragmatics.

According to what you expressed “I am not interested in language only, language does not use me. It is me who uses language”, I did not know what you meant. Lingûistics (I know that there are differences on points from Philosophy, other Social Sciences, but there are many connections between them) . It let us take a meaningful study of our language nowadays. I recommend a lot to take a look at John Mak ´s post called “Here are some of my further learning and reflection on Appreciative Inquiry (AI) – about Changes”, there is an interesting development about how language can contribute to life.

A phrase that I like most is “These tools and environments are
    not innocent nor culturally neutral, though, as they are “inscribed with social meaning, power relations, possibilities for and
    restrictions on the expression of personal identity” “Terrie Lynn Thompson in Who’s taming who? Tensions between people and
    technologies in cyberspace communities”. I consider it interesting in connection of this week´s theme, Pragmatics, because it let us understand deeply the implications on virtual & technological environments.

With regards to your model it is simple and interesting. I can imagine that in the longlife everybody can grow up through them. Diversity is an interesting theme on this point.

It is very kind of you the reference to my blog. I am always learning from you.

Regards. We are in touch,
    María Fernanda

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Pragmatics versus Diversity | Heli on Connectivism -- Topsy.com

3. Thanks, Maria Fernanda
    It is fine that you tell me what you cannot follow in my text, so I get useful feedback. I look the world through psychological lenses and that’s why I am asking “Who is the actor? Who is the leader? ” and it is always Human mind.
    It is obvious that tools are not culturally neutral etc …Ok I cannot say I have known that all my life because we are blind to that fact, too. Only partly conscious about cultural influences. It is hard to see what is near..
    This is learning, thanks to you.

4. Pingback: How to assess learning? | Heli on Connectivism