Feed on
Posts
Comments

Bonnie Stewart has activated many participants this week in Change11, me too. I’ve read my earlier writings and followed discussions in FB group and around some blogs. Bonnie was skillful in creating the atmosphere that she wants our comments in order to develop her own thinking. In the live session in Wednesday she tempted 50 people to participate and share many questions and enjoyable humor. Last night I could not sleep I had so many thoughts about my digital identity , so I’ve to write once more. My former posts have been too abstract, dead concepts. Now I planned an image to help me:

Identity is not stable, there must be motion in the visualization. When the digital identity is a part of the main stream (my identity), it is obvious that there are no clear borders between these two. I’ve digital life every day, I may look at my phone (mail, FB, Twitter) before my morning cafe – or not. I open my computer after walking, it is more important.

My digital identity handles only professional issues: learning, development, virtual communities, not so much about teaching any more. Private things stay private. My daughter is in FB and she accepted me as a mother there, it was funny. I can follow her life and my dear grandson if she gives photos or videos. That’s private.

My performances (Bonnie used this word) or my actions, doings are asynchronous & participative, I could combine these three facets of my digital self. The quantitative side could be the bubbles of the day, they come and go. I don’t mind about them or the brand issue.

I have made a list of good questions, these were challenging enough.

who are you online? do you want to share or sell? what do u want to share? Networked publics, what are the affordances? a friend as an affordance?

Alan Levine’s questions in his video:

Is there a clear demarcation between who you are online and elsewhere? No, not much.

What parts of you are people missing out on if they do not interact with the online you? Oh my global connections, they don’t understand how interesting life I am living at home via my computer and the broadcast internet.

Why (or why not) should you manage your own personal cyber infrastructure? What does this mean to you?

Who are we in this space where the online world is not something distinctly separate?

It is easy to say that I am always this same simple me. Matthias Melcher accepts participation and asynchronous actions to describe his digital life. He ponders the stream nature of everything in the internet, come and go and soon be forgotten. Is it possible to choose a slower participation? Yes it is I suppose, I do not have to run I can walk and look around peacefully. Jupidu got me to reflect how simple I am, she has many identities: speaks German English Italy etc and has different tempo  in different cultures. And she can dive in deep water tells her photo.

Here comes one quantified bubble of this week, my Klout score. I had forgotten it totally but Klout had noticed that I am influential in eLearning and Finland.

I am a dabbler, it sounds funny.The score is not high, should I be shamed? It has come up because Bonnie answered to me and those other activists in the picture. Klout send mails and tries to temp me to activate myself, why?

Google Analytics tells me about the visits to my blogs, it is nice to know that some opens this site and some even read this one minute or so. I am not alone. These quantified bubbles jumping from the stream have meaning – but it not the aim to get high scores. The interaction with co-learners is the aim.

I want to express myself, contextualize and find myself. Goffman used a concept the Presentation of Self, he had experiences about distress, selves are not allowed in all circumstances. It is said that in the internet hierarchies are flattened and everybody has opportunities. Find your niches, said Bonnie, and I learned that niche is not a closed box as I thought from some earlier presentation (of danah boyd).

I don’t like a concept “Digital Identity” or “Self” any more. I should like to say my Voice or my Presence. And I should or could manage my presence better than I have done. I should write a short presentation, key words in my profile sites here and there…

4 Responses to “My real digital identity for Change11”

1. Vanessa Vaile says:

I’ve been using digital identity but it is not always separable or distinct from material. Few if any of them are. Both are real. I like your choice of voice and presence. This will help me sort / integrate / connect my own.

My personal world ~ friends, family, colleagues, places along the way ~ is far flung and scattered so online intersects with personal keeping up with / track of.

Professional? Like you, I am retired and free ranging with varied interests and more time to pursue them. That is what I profess. Does that make it my profession or something else? It’s part of who I am but not my identity.

2. Heli says:

Thanks Vanessa,
    just learned the to profess is a verb.
    I have spoken about professional identity because I had no words to say what I do after leaving work life. But it is fine to be free and have time to own interests. You seem to write very actively, have seen your name in many places..
    See you!

3. Heli says:

Is it a coincidence that Howard Rheingold published in FaceBook this :

“Voice is the foundation of presenting an identity online – what sociologist Erving Goffman dubs “the presentation of self.” Your voice is what distinguishes your views from others who hold the same opinions. Your voice connects who you are with what you care about – and the other people who care about the same things.”‘ ~Net Smart (P.122, hard copy)

I’ve not read the book, but thanks anyways

4. [...] Levine, Jenny Mackness, Ana Cristina Pratas,  Liz, Clark Quinn, Mark McGuire, Matthias Melcher, Heli Nurmi, Mary Rearick, Howard Rheingold, George Veletsianos, Nancy White, Bon Stewart, Valerie, and many [...]