Feed on
Posts
Comments

Bonnie Stewart has prepared to participate in Change11 as a facilitator this week. I love the theme Identity and want to learn more about it and about myself. This is a good opportunity. I have read my earlier writings and some pages which have given something to me. Chris Messina had a lecture three years ago : Identity is the platform. I used the same idea in one of my blog posts during PLENK saying that I am the platform. Often the content of identity is only tools, devices, apps or what ever they are. I want to get rid of the technical orientation as a dominating factor.

I am happy that Bonnie Stewart has a broad orientation. She wants to stay near practice, OK. I start this week by studying her six key aspects of digital identities. I planned a diagram with Power Point and do not like it any more, I have to plan a better image some day. But this is feedback to Bonnie anyway and helped me today.

The most resonating parts of Bonnie’s aspects were 1. the performative public self. I share it via my blogs and Facebook and give information in Twitter and follow others of course.

2. The participatory self is very near to the first aspect, I think. I forgot to draw more lines into the image. Bonnie’s aspects are sides of one phenomenon, performance, practice. Consumer and producer go hand to hand, you follow and you produce your own material. Some people stay as lurkers but I suppose that they are latent producers :)

3, The asynchronous self is very near to me,my mind,  I want to be free and make my own choices every day. No timetables, no promises, I hate phone rings too and never answer to them.

Those two parts on the right are not so easy to describe. I like learning analytics and easy ways to follow my blog visitors etc. Twitter gives information all the time. But I feel that this does not matter to me, I do not have any aims to become famous and get followers. They come when they come, groups in Facebook are good and Twitter is flexible. Perhaps I could be more conscious about the quantified me? I’ve never liked the idea of branding myself, I’ve thought it is only for business etc. But to be honest: is it obligatory to brand oneself? have I already built a brand of experienced educator, interested in human learning and virtual communities now when I am not working as a teacher educator any more. I am retired from work life after 40 years career. I am two years older than Howard Rheingold :) So am I a brand?

The Augmented reality – poly-social self, I have named it as an avatar in the Second Life. She was me, not her outlook but her personality. It seems that this part of my online identity is leaving in history, I’ve not visited in SL anymore. My avatar must feel very lonely.

This is the beginning of my reflections about digital identities this week. I have not much to tell about #Change11 because I do not follow any courses any more, only sometimes visit them. Or perhaps this: I was happy when Pierre Levy commented to my blog post about his week. I was happy because he saw me just like I had meant. These are the moments that give energy to continue.

2 Responses to “Six key aspects of my digital identity”

1. [...] wrote his perception of this six identities in the blog post and I liked the discussion if “he is a brand” very much Writing openly in the [...]

2. Heli says:

Can we open the Brand discussion to new areas or is it better to speak about reputation – don’t know …